Quotes that don't follow these rules will be deleted.
Repeat offenders will have ALL of their quotes removed from the site.
Quotes cannot include:
- Sexually explicit words or descriptions
- Contact information like phone numbers, AIM screen names, etc.
- Hate speech
- Insults or personal attacks
- Comments about the site
- Comments about other quotes
Requests for quotes, pictures, advice
- Gibberish (random letters and numbers)
- Shout outs to your friends
- Repeat submissions. (jocked quotes)
- Submission that copy other submissions and add on to them.
- Multiple quotes in one submission
- Too many misspelled words
- Edits about fonts and colors listed in the quote.
- Stuff in the quote like "use and abuse", "not taking credit", "didn't know where to put it".
- Signatures. Do not sign your quotes at the bottom. Your name and link to your profile will always appear next to the quote.
- No Chain Letters
- Don't abuse the "report" button.
- Do not ask for faves or comments. Witty is not about fake internet points. It's about expressing yourself with meaningful words.
These rules are subject to change without notice.
The Rules were last updated on 3/24/2012.
Rules Change Log:
3/24/2012 - added rule v
8/25/2011 - added rule u
4/15/2009 - deprecated rule h
7/30/2008 - added rule t
6/29/2008 - added rules r and s
12/6/2004 - added rules o and p and q
1/22/2004 - added rules l and m and n
1/17/2004 - initial list (rules a through k)
Respect the Witty Profiles Community
We're not asking for the kind of respect reserved for nuns, the elderly, and brain surgeons. We mean don't abuse the site. Every cool new community feature on Witty Profiles involves a certain level of trust. We trust you to be responsible, and millions of users respect that trust. Please be one of them.
Don't Cross the Line
Here are some common-sense rules that will help you steer clear of trouble:
- Witty Profiles is not for pornography or sexually explicit content. If this describes your quotes, don't post it on Witty Profiles.
- Don't post quotes about bad stuff like animal abuse, drug abuse, under-age drinking and smoking, or bomb making.
- Graphic or gratuitous violence is not allowed. If your quote is about someone being physically hurt, attacked, or humiliated, don't post it.
- Witty Profiles is not a shock site. Don't post gross-out quotes about accidents, dead bodies or similar things intended to shock or disgust.
- Respect copyright. Only post quotes that you made or that you are authorized to use. This means don't post quotes you didn't make, or use content in your quotes that someone else owns the copyright to, such as quotes made by other users, without necessary authorizations.
- We encourage free speech and defend everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But we don't permit hate speech (speech which attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and sexual orientation/gender identity).
- Everyone hates spam. Don’t create misleading quotes in order to increase views. It's not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted or repetitive content, including comments.
Please take these rules seriously and take them to heart. Don't try to look for loopholes or try to lawyer your way around the guidelines—just understand them and try to respect the spirit in which they were created. If you'd like more details, check out our Community Guideline Tips.
We Enforce These Guidelines
Okay, this one is more about us than you. Witty Profiles staff review flagged quotes 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate our Community Guidelines. When they do, we remove them. Sometimes a quote doesn’t violate our Community Guidelines, but may not be appropriate for everyone. These quotes may be hidden. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination. If your account is terminated, you won’t be allowed to create any new accounts.
Witty Profiles is for the Community
Remember that this is your community! Each and every user of Witty Profiles makes the site what it is, so don't be afraid to dig in and get involved!
Have fun with the site. There's a lot to see here, and lots of folks making amazing stuff—one of them might be you! Dive in and enjoy.
Let folks know what you think. Feedback's part of the experience, and when done with respect, can be a great way to make friends, share stories, and make your time on Witty Profiles richer. So leave comments, fave quotes, make your own responses to quotes that affect you—there's a lot going on and a lot of ways to participate.
That's it! Thanks for reading!
- The Witty Profiles Team